Back to search results

Ask an Expert

How can I prevent my child from putting something harmful into their mouth?

Answered on 11th January 2016
Yes No
Was this answer helpful?
  people found this answer helpful

Many child related injuries happen as a result of swallowing or choking on something that has been left around the house. Keeping plastic bags (including nappy bags) away from children, as well as being careful with clothing and toys that have cords, ribbons, bag straps or strings is important as they can easily become wrapped around a child’s neck. Similarly, check all toys regularly for loose buttons or threads that might pose a risk to your little one.

All medicines and household cleaning agents should be safely out of reach of younger children. Keeping both in a locked cupboard will prevent your little one from accidentally swallowing substances that could be very harmful to them.


Related Information