Back to search results

Ask an Expert

How is glue ear diagnosed in children?

Answered on 11th January 2016
Yes No
Was this answer helpful?
  people found this answer helpful

It is important to see your family doctor if you are concerned that your little one may have glue ear. If your GP also suspects glue ear, they will look inside your child’s ear using a medical instrument called an otoscope. This is not a painful procedure and it will allow your doctor to look for some of the telltale signs of glue ear, such as the eardrum looking dull or cloudy, or visible fluid behind it.

In most cases, your family doctor will manage and monitor cases of glue ear. Occasionally, they may refer your child to a hearing clinic for an additional hearing test. A further procedure can also be done to measure how well your child’s eardrum moves – this is known as tympanometry.


Related Information