Ask an Expert
What are the most common causes of earache in children?
Whilst there are a number of different causes, here are some of the most common causes of earache in children:
- Ear canal infection (the outer side of the eardrum)
- Glue ear (a build up of fluid in the middle ear)
- Earwax, or another object, stuck inside the ear
- Damage caused to the inside of the ear (such as a scrape caused by a cotton bud)
- A throat infection (such as tonsillitis or quinsy)
It is also common for children to get a build up of mucus in their middle ear after a cold. This will often clear on its own within a few days. Pain from other areas of the body can also sometimes appear as ear pain, such as problems with teeth and teething.